Pages

Monday, July 18, 2011

Liver Lyonnaise and Beef with Blue Cheese Mornay



That's right, we had to make liver tonight. Calves liver. And chef made me taste it. He was very kind about it, he pulled a garbage can next to me, and wrapped the liver in the Lyonnaise (caramelized) onion, and said "here, I want you to taste it, you don't have to eat it, just spit it out". So I stared back at him, and considered my options. I could either be a complete baby and simply refuse, or I could suck it up and taste the damn liver. So I tasted the damn liver. Yeah, it's gross, ok spit it out. There, done! Moving on.....

Tonight's dishes were fairly simple, nothing too tricky or difficult. But we were all late in serving our dishes, because chef wrote the table numbers and serving times differently on the board, so we all got our times wrong. He understood, (even saying that he kind of knew it would confuse us), so he did not dock us any points for being late. But that just meant we got a late start on cleaning, and got home late.

I was very pleased with how my dishes turned out. I got my highest score yet on tonight's beef tenderloin dish. My liver was just a touch over done, and the reason chef wanted me to taste it was so that I could taste how it was slightly bitter. The more you cook liver it will have a bitter taste, so it is usually cooked slightly more rare. (My liver was still bleeding out in the pan so I wanted to cook that out. oh well). The best part of tonight was that we got to fry up some shoestring french fries. Yum!

So tonight's complete dishes were as follows: Plate 1 - Calves Liver Lyonnaise, with Sauteed Haricot Verts and Shoestring French Fries. Plate 2 - Bacon Wrapped Beef Tenderloin with Mushroom Madeira Sauce, Blue Cheese Potato Dauphinoise, and Sauteed Artichoke Hearts Gratinee. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment