Pages

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Something's Fishy In The Kitchen...

We had lots of seafood in the kitchen tonight, and we all turned out some pretty nice dishes. Last night we did the butchery of a cod fish, which I was not excited to see, because that meant we had to clean it. But I did get help from Chef Dan, (Thanks Chef!), so it wasn't so terrible. He has a great way of making things simple, easy, and fun. 


And tonight we cooked it all. We had salmon, cod, shrimp, and scallops. I was most excited to make my attempt at a seared scallop. The scallops were beautiful to begin with, and they look so beautiful on the plate. I got a great sear on mine, but I did just overcook them unfortunately. But pretty good for my first time, I think! And our salmon mousselines were pretty gorgeous as well.


Everything else on the menu tonight went smooth and fun. We made quinoa, (one of my favorites), and what I thought was going to be a yucky fish fumet sauce, turned out to be really delicious.We had asparagus, and got to make some gorgeous little saffron potato Parisiennes, (another one of Chef Dan's brilliant ideas!). 


And I am sad to say that this is our last week of production in the Culinary Foundations III kitchen. Next week is finals week, and then we are off to begin a new course... pastry!! I am kinda excited about that, but our next chef has some big shoes to fill. And I love the fact that this class was the one class I thought was going to be terrifying, and it has turned out to be my favorite class so far. It's been a ton of fun and I feel that I have really learned a lot and overcome some hurdles. Now if I can just get through finals week with flying colors, I will be a happy girl!


Plate 1- Salmon Escallops stuffed with Cod Mousseline, Quinoa Pilaf, Braised Asparagus, Fish Fumet Sauce. Plate 2 - Seared Scallops, Butterflied Shrimp, Cod, Provencal Sauce, Saffron Braised Potato Parisiennes,Garlic Aioli and Crostini. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment