Pages

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Mango Guacamole Happy Dance

Avocado Mango Guacamole
I had a hankering for a new kind of snacky snack this past weekend, and it didn't take long for this mango guacamole to come to mind.

....No, you can't have-a de Mango!....


...Such is Mango....

Moving on, I think the hardest part of making this little gem was having to go to two stores to get all of the ingredients. You can never count on Trader Joe's having the best produce, and they didn't have a single ripe avocado in the store. I had to walk all the way over to the Safeway, just next door, about 20 feet. Geesh!!

And why is it that they, (TJ's), don't really carry fresh herbs? They have these overpriced little packaged bundles of a few most popular herbs. No thank you! But, I still love my Traders, they have so many other great things to offer.

So, while at said second store, I picked up a handful of ripe avocado's, a big bunch of cilantro, and a jalapeno. I got in line, not really sure why I didn't do the self check-out as I normally do. Maybe I had alcohol in my basket...yeah, likely that I did. Or maybe I was meant to experience the check-out lady's guacamole happy dance. Yes, that's right. The guacamole happy dance. It was awesome, and it made my day. I love those little unexpected moments, experienced with complete strangers, that make you smile. And this one made me lol. As she is ringing up my items, she sings " I see guacamole!", and begins to quietly jump up and down and side to side. It was adorable. I love happy people who aren't afraid to express themselves, and actually communicate with other people. Yay for her.

She then asked me what spices I put in my guacamole. And I think many people wonder what is the secret to excellent guac. Well, I think, like everything, it depends on what you like. I happen to like, or um, love, the taste of pure and simple avocado. So I like to keep my guacamole fairly simple. Although, I love the contrast that fresh sweet mango adds, plus it looks pretty. But really, trust me, it tastes amazing.

Keep your guacamole simple by adding salt and pepper, red onion, plenty of fresh cilantro, fresh lime juice, a little bit of jalapeno, and fresh mango. And then don't be afraid to do the guacamole happy dance!

No comments:

Post a Comment