Pages

Thursday, May 17, 2012

Empire State of Empanadas


I was in an empire state of empanadas recently. It was a few weeks ago, so yes, I am doing some catching up on my postings here. I was offered an assignment, to make 140 empanadas for a woman's 50th birthday party on Cinco de Mayo. And I gladly accepted the mission.

The details of my mission were simple. Make 70 pulled pork empanadas, and 70 black bean and corn empanadas. Yet, the actual work of completing these little pockets of goodness were not so simple. It was a time consuming process. So let's quickly get started on this review of my mission a la empanada madness....

The first thing I did after getting home with all of the needed ingredients, was to get the pork and its braising liquid prepared. I seared the pork to give the outside some color and flavor, and sauteed some onions and garlic. Then all the braising ingredients got tossed together in one large container...
dried chiles, oranges, onions, garlic, bay leaf, cinnamon stick, salt and pepper.
...then covered with chicken stock, and covered with foil, and placed in the oven for a good four hours.

While the pork was cooking, I put together the black bean and corn filling...
black beans, corn, diced tomato, onion, garlic, jack cheese, fresh cilantro, chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper.
Next, it was time to get started on the dough. Ohhh, the dough!! I used the same recipe that I used when I made empanadas in school. I was so proud of that dough as it came out beautiful, so I was hoping for the same results this time around.

I threw together the ingredients, and worked it up with my fingertips in the bowl. I remembered that the dough is supposed to be of "pea size" lumps, so it was looking good...
Then dumped the mix out onto a lightly floured work surface and formed into a ball...
The dough rested for 30 minutes, then it was ready to be rolled out...
And cut into small rounds...
I think I did all of this three or four times. I lost count. I needed a lot of dough, and I had to consider the size of my containers. So I just put my head down and focused. I became a dough making machine!

Then it was time for the filling and stuffing, folding and pinching, coating with egg wash, and finally baking! I did a few of the veggie ones first as a test batch...
And once those came out of the oven, nicely browned, perfectly delicious and melty in the center, I knew I was good to go on the whole lot. After making over 70 of the veggie ones, I moved on to the pulled pork...
I was pretty thrilled to finally get down to the very last batch, filling the dough and folding each one over into a half moon. Pinching the ends together gently but assertive. Laying the soft pillowy shapes down, and sealing the ends together with the twines of my fork. And lastly, brushing on the egg wash, and sliding the tray into the oven. Timer set for 15 minutes. Go!
Once they were all out of the oven, counted, and cooled, they were carefully laid to rest, side by side, like sardines in a can, so that they could travel easily to their final destination...
I chose to also make a fresh salsa verde as a dip, or dressing. Because I just can't seem to be happy with simply putting these on the plate alone. I mean, they are so much more than just some browned baked thing on a plate. They deserved to be dressed for the party too!

No comments:

Post a Comment